Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Finding the one...

Keep the faith, girls. It can happen. I was getting anxious about finding a dress for the wedding. I ordered the Nieves Lavi dress from ShopBop because it was further discounted but I was still on the hunt for a cheaper dress and in case, said dress didn't fit when it arrived. The pickings were looking pretty slim until I decided to check out a little boutique in Walnut Creek called My Roommate's Closet. If you've never heard of this store, the concept is that they sell unsold clothing from Bay area boutiques. However, they handpick their items so these are not your average five seasons old, lipstick stained, ripped zipper castoffs. Instead you have some truly nice items all attractively displayed. The store is small and when I did a once around I didn't see anything but I was determined. Then I saw it, a pretty little purple number by Sunner. I tried it on and with the aid of a waist belt, it was love at first wear. Revolve Clothing has it in red but the purple is so much prettier. It's a vibrant, deep purple and I've always wanted a dress this color. It was a little bit more than I would have liked and the sales associate got my hopes up by mistaking it for another dress and accidentally telling me it was around $70 but I bought it anyway because you don't turn away a good love. It needs a belt in order to unveil its true potential but this way I can create new looks by simply changing the belt.

Now my task is to find a belt. The ideal would be a wide tan leather belt with a couple of buckles or straps for detail. It also can't be too tight or it will cause the dress to pucker oddly on the side. I tried a stretchy belt at Urban Outiftters and I suddenly had angles on my hips where I would want curves. Lastly, I'd prefer for it not to cost as much as the dress. I think I'm headed for the city again tomorrow for a day of belt hunting.

Luckily, I already have shoes covered. I picked up these Dolce Vita wedges in the city today at DSW. They've been completely sold out online in the brown so I had to snap them up when I saw them. I also have these, the Bombay by Max Studio, coming in the mail. I fell in love with them a couple of months ago inside a Nordstroms but they didn't have the size and color that I wanted. I went to the Max Studio online store the other week and there they were. When they arrive, I'll compare the two shoes side by side with the dress and then decide which to return.

I love when an outfit seems to just fall together perfectly. If only it happened more often.

No comments: