Saturday, July 12, 2008

There's not much casual about business casual

I have a summer job! Finally! I am going to be a hostess at a restaurant. This means I will finally be making some money. This also means I have a new reason to buy clothes because I have casual, lots and lots of casual but not much business. The official dress code is black bottoms and some form of nice top that covers the shoulders, preferably button down. Supposedly, it really isn't that strict and as long as you look put together and fairly professional, you can get away with most colors and such. However, considering that I'm just starting I want to at least give the impression that I care about following the rules. At least, until I know just how much I can bend them.

I have one outfit that got me through all of my interviews this summer and that was a pair of navy pants and a white wrap top from Banana Republic. Obviously that just won't cut it. Thus, I headed over to Bay Street, home of all the basic chain stores. I hit up Old Navy, H&M, Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, and Express. None of the stores are known for extremely trendy or hip clothing but when you need business casual basics fast, they will do. Unsurprisingly I spent a lot of money. I grabbed a black pencil skirt and a navy knit top from Ann Taylor, a navy and beige striped cardigan from Old Navy, a white top from H&M, a button down short sleeved shirt from Express, a beautiful beige cardigan and a white wrap dress from Banana Republic, and finally black pants, a black leather belt and a loose black cotton dress from Gap. It's a lot in one day but with the addition of a couple more tops I'll be able to mix and match to my hearts content.

No comments: