Thursday, July 17, 2008

Gimme some of that kale...

As any self-respecting fashionista knows, the 5th season of Project Runway premiered tonight. I have to say that overall it was a bit of a let down. They re-did the grocery store challenge from the first season and it's as if none of them had ever watch an episode. Tablecloths and trash bags? Seriously? I can't think of anything less creative or more likely to disappoint the judges. I don't understand how they couldn't have seen that coming. On the other hand, Korto's yellow kimono dress with the kale and tomato collar was beautiful. She knows how to put a look together and while the material for the dress wasn't innovative, I give her snaps for using fresh produce. Plus, if that was actually made out of cloth, women would buy it. I also liked the winning dress by Kelli, the skirt part especially. She was truly creative when it came to putting her dress together. It was quirky with the coffee filters and gold push pins but in a Marc Jacobs kind of way, not a bad way. She put a lot of effort and thought into her dress and it showed, especially in contrast with the designs of the lazier contestants.As for everyone else, I hope they step it up next time. Most of the other dresses were decent if not memorable. I was a little surprised that Jerry didn't perform better. I don't like all of his FORM line but the man has the ability to do some gorgeous work. If only he had done something that looked a little less like serial killer meets hazmat suit. I think if they had kept him around, he would have improved. The better person to auf weidersehen would have been Blayne's licious ass. I don't understand how a person can manage to be that annoying or create something so hideous and have the cojones to walk it down the runway.

No comments: