Saturday, July 12, 2008

The perfect cinch

I have a terrible habit of knowing exactly what I want. In the world of fashion this can be bad when what I want is exactly not what I am finding. Case in point, I am currently in the hunt for a pair of thin, graduated width, gold hoop earrings with a hammered texture to them. I've seen them sold in the past and I recently saw a girl wearing a pair but I can't find them anywhere. I've asked several jewelers who have gone through several catalogs and they've all told me that I'd have to have them custom made because nobody is currently making what I want. Catch is those custom earrings will put me out a good $300. Yea, maybe I'll just wait until they come back into style. That or until I make good friends with a gold smith who's willing to do it for cheap.

Luckily, there are times when I find exactly what I'm looking for. The wedding is tomorrow and as of Wednesday I still did not have a belt, so it was off to the city for me. My first stop was H&M where I bought a simple 2 inch wide brown belt. Not fabulous but if that was all I could find, it would do. I then hit up Macy's where I purchased a 3 buckle waist belt that was better than the H&M belt but still not quite what I wanted. From there I stopped by Nordstroms where I found adorable Jeffrey Campbell shoes (that I didn't buy) but no belt. After Nordstroms I wandered into Club Monaco, Express, Anne Klein and various other smaller stores but to no avail. It was getting late and my feet hurt. I was about to admit defeat but I decided to try one more store. Thus at close to 9 pm as the stores readied to close, I found myself speed walking through Bloomingdales in search of the accessories department. At first my tired, blurry eyes did not see it amongst the boring Michael Kors simple leather belts, but there it was, the perfect leather waist belt. It is brown leather with one buckle. It was the last one left and on sale. I don't really believe in fate but this was meant to be. It was such a relief to find it. I know it's a wedding and on that day it's about love, commitment and a number of other mushy things but not having the right belt would have bothered me. Now I'll be able to fully bask in the glory that is true love (yea, I just gagged a bit).

No comments: