Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fashionably green

Etsy is a genius thing. If you haven't heard of it, you should definitely check it out. It's a website that allows crafty people to create their own little online shops and sell their wares. You can browse by category or if you're looking for something in particular you can go to the alchemy section and post a description of what you're looking for. With any luck, someone will be interested in making the item for you (for a fee, of course).

I have spent hours sifting through Etsy. A lot of the stuff is not my style. However, every once in awhile I stumble across a store that has something I love. My favorite of the moment is called valhallabrooklyn. She makes gorgeous bags and other goods out of recycled leather. We all know the whole "Go Green" movement is the new trend. It's funny to see in places like forever21 that you know aren't environmentally friendly but when it comes to quality stuff like these leather handbags, I'm all in.

Valhallabrooklyn has cute designs that she makes in various colors but my favorite are the one-of-a-kinds that she makes out of leather jackets. They're amazing because she manages to keep original features of the former jacket in the design of the bag.

These two are my favorites but unfortunately they've both been sold. I am hoping that she'll come out with some more like these because I seriously want one. Forget buying the latest Marc Jacobs. Even if it were limited edition, there would still be several hundred people with the exact same bag. With this, you get a bag that no one else in the world owns. The price isn't too bad either. At less than $300, they're a fraction of the cost of many designer handbags. Plus, they're quality. They're made of genuine, buttery soft leather. This is the kind of bag I could use everyday and while it might get a worn look, it would only be in a good way. One-of-a-kind, relatively cheap AND an everyday bag that can actually handle the love of being used every day? I can't think of anything better. Can you?

No comments: