Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Avoid the big red bullseye


I am a broke college student. My parents and I have a deal. They pay for my education, housing, food, and necessities and I am supposed to pay for the fun stuff such as concerts, eating out, drinks, and shopping. It's a pretty sweet deal, I have to admit. The problem is that I am currently unemployed. This makes doing the fun stuff a bit more difficult and thus, I should avoid shopping. Really, it isn't too big of a deal. The big department stores are in San Francisco and the few stores in the immediate area of the university aren't all that tempting. So I was doing pretty well for myself. That is, until I went to Target today. That store always gets me into trouble. The thing about Nordstroms is as much as I like shopping there I know that I don't actually need any of it. I may want lots of items but I can survive just fine without another pair of Sevens or a Marc by Marc Jacobs bag. Target, on the other hand, is full of things that I can easily argue that I need. I spent close to $90 there today on items that will probably be useful and that I most likely would have bought sometime in the future but I certainly did not need to buy them now. They all could have waited until I am employed and have sufficient funds. Well, except for the deodorant. I actually do need that immediately seeing as my old one has completely run out on me. Still, the point is that at Target you grab so many little things that by the time you hit the register it totals up to close to $100, which just isn't okay when you have no income. Therefore, I am self-imposing a ban on Target for the next month or so until I have money. Thank god the Botkier for Target line looks hideous or I might have had trouble enforcing my ban.

No comments: